Something really ticked me off this afternoon. So Angie and I are supposed to be enjoying a nice little vacation together with her sister and husband in Tennessee this week. Due to obvious reasons, we can't go, so since I'm still taking the time off, we decided to get some take out for lunch today.
I called up the Riverton Chili's for some lunch, took it home and sat down in front of a movie while we ate lunch. Halfway through my lunch I taste something minty. Strange, I don't remember mint ever being in the southwest repertoire of spices...
I HAD A PIECE OF MINT GUM IN MY MEAL!!!!!!
(ok, go ahead and puke now)
I drove back to the restaurant immediately and raised some serious Cain. They couldn't do much for me. They gave me $15 in gift certificates and cooked me up a fresh and presumably gum free replacement meal. I was so mad, that after waiting for the meal to come out, I asked if there was a garbage can behind the desk. The assistant manager showed me where one was, and I threw the meal in the garbage can and yelled at him, "This is repulsive! $15 is not enough!" He then gave me the general manager's card, who is out of the office today and tomorrow and apologized again.
I will say that we have been to that Chili's quite a few times without any issues, but I don't know if I can ever go there again, which stinks, because I am a staunch supporter of Riverton restaurants.
So I dry heave every time I think about it, but was just wondering for those of you who frequent this blog, what would you expect as recompense in this situation???
Greg
--
10 years ago
Having been a restaurant manager I have actually had to handle situations like this. Not fun, but something you have to do. Gum getting in your food either happened from the prepcook, cook or waiter who would have packaged your food. Really hard to pin down when and where. And ya, no one is going to confess. Here's the kicker, I would have said to you, "Sir, what can I do for you to make up for this situation?" I would let you tell me what you want. AND I WOULD GIVE IT TO YOU. We had to do it all the time. We even did that when we thought for sure people were being dishonest. Bottom line? Customer is always right and we do what it takes to make them happy and they're the only one who knows what that is. Usually they never ask for anything unreasonable. If they did, then I refered them to the General Manager.
ReplyDeleteThat is really gross. I would have asked for much more than $15 and I would make sure that everyone I know hears about the terrible experience that you had there. If they aren't willing to give you what you want, hit them where it hurts, in their revenue!
ReplyDeleteMake them work your name into the "Baby Back Ribs" song....and have Neil Diamond sing it to you!
ReplyDeleteI wasn't going to comment but I have to second Matt and Lisa's comment! Great idea!
ReplyDeleteOH my gosh. I would be LIVID. That is so disturbing. SO disturbing. I'm trying to think of what I would ask for that would appropriately compensate for what you experienced--and I'm coming up with a blank. The hard thing for me would be this: I wouldn't want a GC because I'd be tempted not to go there anymore. I'd almost want a Visa Gift Card for $15 to spend somewhere ELSE. But that's unlikely. Dangit...that is disgusting!
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what I would do. Completely gross. I wish I could help with some ideas, but I honestly don't know what could make up for that.
ReplyDeleteI think Lia's suggestion/comments were very appropriate. If it were me, I'd for sure want my money back for the entire cost of everything bought.
ReplyDeleteRegarding Matt's comment, I'm still laughing!! Absolutely hillarious and I honestly believe another request you should make to the general manager.
So, I asked Aaron what he would of done in this situation when he was restaurant managing...he said he would of offered to make the food himself and then would of asked you what you wanted in compensation....and he said he would of found who was responsible for the gum and fired him/her. Just thought I'd share!
ReplyDeleteWhat ever happened? You can't tell a story like this and never tell us the ending?
ReplyDeleteI decided never to eat at Chili's again, only at McDonalds.
ReplyDeleteActually, the ending is still pending. I'll fill you in.
The last discussion I had about this had me feeling bad because I was trying to explain to my kids that reacting so loudly and shoving the prepared meal in the garbage was "not what Jesus would have done," so I spent the week cooling down and re-evaluating how I should handle it. I think I'm going to call the GM this week.