Here is the text of the article:
Shining Moments: One Blessed By All - Greg Hill, Church News
Laura White is confined to a wheelchair and has limited ability to communicate, the results of a car accident when she was 10 years old.
She is an active, spiritual young woman in the Prairie 13th Ward, West Jordan Utah Prairie Stake. When she turned 16 years old in August and moved into the Laurel class, her leaders sensed her desire to earn her Young Womanhood medallion, according to Suzanne Rentmeister, the ward's Young Women president.
There was no thought that the award's requirements would be adapted to Laura's abilities, but would be met as outlined. To do so, the leaders called upon the ward's other 23 young women.
They were asked if they would be willing to join together in meeting every requirement on Laura's behalf, and do it in the 10 weeks before Young Women in Excellence Night. That meant completing six value experiences and one value project in each of the seven Young Women values, a task that can easily take several years. There were rules, Sister Rentmeister said: No one was forced to participate, and "the young women would have to sacrifice their time and efforts for Laura and not double count it on their own personal progress."
The young women unanimously voted to support the project, Sister Rentmeister said.
Laura's parents — Doug and Eva — attended the Young Women in Excellence Night to hear 12-year-old daughter Amy speak, knowing nothing of the project on Laura's behalf. Sister Ann Dibb of the Young Women General Presidency was among the many others in attendance.
Everyone joined Brother and Sister White in tears of joy as Laura was presented her medallion, attended by Amy who had helped coordinate the effort without her parents' knowledge. In her talk, Amy spoke of the project, the Young Women values and of Laura's example in her life.
Sister Dibb spoke, commending the Young Women and encouraging them to continue in such a spirit of service the rest of their lives.
Sister Rentmeister said that when Laura is really happy about something, she gives a "thumbs up" sign. Laura joyfully gave the thumbs up as she wore her medallion.
The young women of the ward, including three who are not members of the Church, touched many hearts, including Sister Rentmeister's. "All the credit goes to them," she said.
Link to the actual article:
Shining Moments: One Blessed By All
Here are a couple of pictures and videos from the night. It was an amazing experience, one we'll never forget. My sister is a sweetheart and was very touched by the experience, as, of course, were we all.
Laura with a few of the young women in her ward.

My sisters Amy and Laura with her medallion.

My Dad (on the left) speaking with his stake president, and Sister Dibb, who is president Monson's daughter.

A few videos:
Sister Rentmeister talking about the experience. I didn't catch the first part of it, as I didn't know that she was going to talk about Laura yet. Since it was a surprise for my parents, there was nothing on the program about it.
My sister Amy's talk:
Sister Dibb's comments:
Greg
--
Thanks for sharing this. I will be sharing it with my Young Women, if you have no objections. I think that it would benefit them a ton.
ReplyDeleteWhat a powerful tool your sister has become in the hands of our Heavenly Father. More so, in her limited way, than some of us who have our full capacities could ever hope to be.
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering if she would ever be able to go out, perhaps with her YWs Pres. and tell this story to other YW groups. If she would ever consider it. Would you let me know?
Thanks for sharing, I shed a few tears.
I guess you'd have to ask her YW president. Laura can't talk, she can only smile, really, but I'm sure she would enjoy something like that. I'll mention it to my parents.
ReplyDeleteWhat a remarkable experience for everyone, especially Laura. I was so proud of Amy; she gave a wonderful talk. I cried throughout all the videos and wish I could have been in attendance. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful story, thank you for sharing. I have such trouble getting my girls to work on their personal progress...perhaps this will help them to see the importance of it.
ReplyDelete