Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ups and Downs

So the past couple of days have been up and down with Nate. We have felt fortunate that he has been better with his shots, but that hasn't been consistent. Sometimes he is fine and says it doesn't hurt, other times he really fights us. I'm getting nervous about going back to work, because there have only been a couple of times so far that one of us could have done it alone.

Another frustration is that we can't seem to get a good handle on his blood sugar levels. I need to be more patient with this, as it will take a long time to get the right dosage down, and it will always change as he grows and as his activity levels change. I just wish it were easier. I keep thinking every time I see his glucose level above 300 that he is going to lose a foot or go blind. I need more patience.

We did have a new experience. Last night my sister was getting her young women medallion (an inspiring and amazing story in and of itself, as she is confined to a wheelchair and cannot speak or control her body). The refreshments were frosted cupcakes. We had brought our "stuff" just in case this happened and he really wanted one, but didn't think he'd go for a shot just to eat a cupcake. Well, the cupcakes looked really good and he thought it was worth it. We searched books and I got my Blackberry out to search the web for nutrition information so that we could get the right dose of insulin, and we gave him a shot in the rear right in the church hallway. He did pretty good and was able to eat the cupcake and was happy. That was nice for us, as although it was a situation we had never thought we would encounter, it made things seem a little more normal, as we didn't have to keep him away from the food he wanted.

I think if I was a 3 year old, I'd take a needle in the bum to eat one of these bad boys:

cimg6443

So things are moving along. We met someone last night that told us his doctor is amazing - her son has worked with her for the past 4 years and they love her - so that was comforting. One day at a time...

Greg

--

6 comments:

  1. You guys are great parents. I found your blog and have enjoyed reading everything our thoughts and prayers are with you all. This is mark and tammy grove you can look at our blog anytime you would like to it is at mtgrove.blogspot.com it has been good to see you and your family
    Tammy and Mark Grove

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry things have been up and down. I knowit must be difficult. If you need any help while Greg is at work, Angie, give me a call. If I'm home I would be more than happy to help. And those cupcakes do look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lia. I might need some help holding him down. I'll let you know. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel with the shots. We have to hold Addison down to give her shots for her expanders - last time, it took four of us, including the doctor. What a tough little guy. I would have taken a shot for one of those cupcakse too though. Good choice Nate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it interesting how you just never will stop worrying for your kids..that no matter how old they get, they are still your kids and you worry...it's what all good parents do....you guys are an inspiration to me...hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing little guy you have! I'm really looking forward to talking to you about this adventure at the pancake house tomorrow....emily (the07)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive