Friday, December 19, 2008

Weird Thoughts


We watched the movie "A Christmas Story" the other night as a family and for some reason, I was taken by the house in the movie. It's very simple, small, run down, and old. One with a lot of character. Obviously the family in the movie is of humble means. Not poor, but not necessarily comfortable. The scenes in the kitchen and the back yard were particularly appealing to me. I know, it sounds crazy.

It made me remember growing up in a home that was sufficient for our needs, but not a mansion, and after a number of years, had it's own lovable characteristics. You know, those things that at the time you hate, but after a while you almost miss. Things like the randomly screeching water heater, the perpetually in-repair bathroom, the window by the front door that was always cracking from kids slamming the door, the basement that didn't really get finished until I moved out of the house. (Any one of my siblings remember Dad's jury-rigged alarm system for the basement door?)

I started freaking the kids out by talking to Angie about selling the house and moving into something like the house in the movie. The kids were more worried about the idea of moving than having a house that had a cantankerous heater and dogs running through it randomly. I think experiencing an economic environment like the one we have now is getting to me a bit. We've been lucky enough that the ways we've been touched have not left us without the things we need, but it has shifted many of our priorities, which is definitely good.

I hope everything is fine with everyone. Have a happy holiday season, and know that we love you all.

And don't shoot your eye out.



Greg

--

7 comments:

  1. Yes. He had a piece of paper with "BANG!" written on it that he would turn over when the alarm was set. I pulled it on purpose a couple of times to see what would happen and without fail, it made me cry every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kowhai and I watched this same movie just the other day. Can you believe it was the first time I'd ever seen it? I was talking to a friend tonight who's having a particularly simple Christmas this year. I told her that my fondest Christmas memory growing up was the year we were the poorest. I felt so much love that year. So in other words, I think I know what you're getting at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the Schafer Brothers favorite Christmas movie...so, we watch it often..it's such a classic!!! I'm with you on the reflecting on what's a want and what's a need. I think humble times are coming for many! Thanks for your thoughts..always..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great movie and even greater comments, Greg. They really stirred a lot of memories for me, as well. It's good to remember how happy and content we were when our lives seemed more simple and we had so little. Much love to you, Angie and our "sweet little one's". Thanks for being such fabulous parents to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Greg, it's been so fun catching up on your life. Your family is so cute and fun.
    For some reason this year I was thinking back on some of my childhood Christmas's,and the warm feelings tickled me all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI IT MARY'S DOTER AUBREY YOUR LITTLE GIRL IS CUT IN HER DANCE TELL HER I DO DANCE TO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was alway one of our favorite movies as well. We always talked about making one of my dad fake legs into a lamp. Anyways have a great Christmas season. Good luck with Nates blood sugars!

    ReplyDelete