Thursday, October 30, 2008

Congratulations to an old pal

So I'm not what I would call a Baseball fan, although I love going to professional baseball games when I am able, but this year's World Series ended up to be something unique. I didn't really have much interest in it until I was flipping channels a few days ago and saw an old pal of mine from Jr. High/High School days pitching for the Philadelphia Phillies.

Scott Eyre, who's been in the big leagues for quite a few years ago, went to Jr. High with me and we had a seminary class together. We were also in the same stake, so we would see each other at youth activities and play church basketball against each other. I knew he was pitching, but had thought he was still with the Cubs. I actually got a chance to see him pitch in person once at a Giants game a couple of years ago, but didn't have any way to get down to talk to him.

So now his team has won the World Series, and even though I don't think I've spoken to him since he was drafted about 18 years ago, it was so cool to see. Congratulations, Scott. I'm sure you would never see this blog, but I just think it's so cool that my old friend has been able to accomplish so much at that level.

Here is a picture of the team celebrating. Scott is number 47, right in the middle.



This is how I remember him - his rookie card picture:



Here's a shot of him pitching more recently:

2 comments:

  1. The Cubs cut him earlier this year after he had some bad luck with injuries. Maybe if we hadn't........ We'll now call it the Curse of Scott Eyre!

    ReplyDelete