Saturday, January 3, 2009

Almost Completely Satisfied

100_2202

I'm sure it may be a surprise to some that it took me this long to say anything about last night's game, but I've been a bit busy today. Had to take the kids sledding again (this time it ended as it should, with the kids all crying and saying "I never want to go sledding again." Isn't that how it always ended when you were a kid? That's how I remember it).

So, as for my Utes. I have to say that I can only imagine one thing better than what happened last night, and that is a virtual impossibility, so I'm about as satisfied as the BCS will ever let me be. WHAT A GAME!!!!!

I will say that although I did think the Utes could do it, I never knew they could do it so convincingly. All year there were comments made about how Utah was winning, but never really put a full game together where they were hitting on all cylinders. Even the Colorado State and BYU games were not as perfect as they were last night. They did almost everything right.

So what does this mean? First off, football really isn't that important to me, but it is entertaining, and I went to the U, so it's nice to see "my team" win and win so big. Here are the things I got from the game last night:

1 - Should Utah be ranked #1 in the nation? Yes.

Although the BCS setup is nowhere near perfect (and in my opinion, frankly illegal), it did set our team up this year to actually prove themselves. I liked that. We weren't stuck with a "no name" school, we actually played what ended up to be the best all around team in the nation this year, despite their current rank. Alabama had the best record, losing only to the team that is playing for the championship this coming week. We beat Alabama much more convincingly than Florida did, so comparing the two, I would say we come out on top. That's easy for me to say, though.

2 - How does this team compare to the 2004 Utes, or the 1984 National Championship Cougars? They are better.

If somehow the 2004 team could play the 2008 team, I'm not sure who would win. The 2004 team was so dominant, but they had softer competition end to end. This 2008 team has heart, and I think that Brian Johnson may be (and according to his record, he definitely is) the best quarterback ever to play at Utah. The way he calmly took teams apart when he was able to have full control of the play calling was astounding. I saw him at IKEA before the season started and silently wished him luck - I think that is what did it.
As for the 1984 Cougars - first off, we'll never know, as the Cougars faced weaker competition than Utah did this season, but were the ranking systems the same, Utah would be alone at the top of the rankings unanimously this year, so even though we don't have a chance at a National Championship, having the national media say what they did about the team last night after the game is about as close as a Mountain West Conference team can ever come to it.

3 - What did we do last night that BYU has never been able to do? Make Barry Switzer eat his words on National TV.

Oh, was that ever sweet. Hopefully it was nice for the Cougar fans, too, as those of you old enough to remember that 1984 season and the comments that cracked old geezer made then, it had to be nice to see him eat crow.

4 - Twilight is a stupid movie.

Just checking to see if any women actually read this post.

5 - Watching the Utes win like they did last night makes up for no one showing up to my house to watch the game with me.

You all missed a view that could have only been matched by being in New Orleans. Nothing like a huge game on a 120" screen in HD. We had Oreos and Chips Ahoy, too, but yeah, Utes won, I'm fine.

6 - This will be as loud as I will be about this game.

A friend of mine at church talked to me after Utah beat BYU this year and made this astute observation: "You ever notice that when BYU wins, you never hear the end of it, but when Utah wins, we just sit back and smile?" That's been my experience, but that may just be that I live around more BYU fans and have family on both sides that bleed blue. I'm satisfied to sit back and enjoy it quietly, no need to throw anything in anyone's face. This game says absolutely nothing about BYU, and I sure wish they had had a better year. Honestly. I just had a bunch of people make RAH RAH BYU remarks before this game, hoping for a big win by Alabama, and I thought that was a bit silly, but they just love their school, so that's ok.

So there you go. Angie asked that I try to post whatever I did about the game as a poem so that her friends who read this blog would enjoy it more than reading about college football analysis. I can understand that, but, I just couldn't push out a poem for this. Besides, not much rhymes with "Switzer," or "Sugar Bowl" anyway. So forgive me for waxing testosteronic for this post. I can't help it. My inner caveman comes out when I watch something as beautiful as that win last night.

After reading this, Angie still thinks I should have written a poem.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
We beat Alabama
Woohoo!!!

There.

100_2201

100_2200

100_2196

Greg

--

11 comments:

  1. One of Angie’s friends here and I just wanted to let you know that I apologize for any BYU fan that cheered against the U last night. I was not one of them and I was so happy to see them cream Alabama! I do have to balk at the ’84 BYU National Championship Team comment …they were the best team EVER...:)…but your right about the Utes deserving a #1 or at least a #2 spot. But most importantly I wanted to agree with you on how much I think Barry Switzer is a Jerk! I can’t stand that guy and it was great to have them call him on his comments! What an idiot! Hope you guys have a Happy New Year...and thanks for adding the poetry at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost didn't read this one Greg. But I did and I somehow found myself almost completely ignorant (not because of your words, just the topic, no offense), laughing (yes I saw the Twilight comment), and saddened (where were all your football buddies, I think they owe you big time!! That was just sad!)

    And, hello, did you take pictures of the sledding today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of comments from me.

    About the 84 Cougars. I guess what I was trying to say was that unfortunately, BYU didn't have the chance to be put up against someone equal to them as the Utes were able to do in a BCS bowl. Therefore, it's really sad that there isn't a good comparison of situations. That being the case, I just have to assume the '08 Utes are the better team, since this is my blog.

    And no, I didn't take pictures of the sledding today, but they would have pretty much looked like the pictures I put up the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg, I ALWAYS read your posts! They are so entertaining! I am a BYU fan and not a Utah hater, so I am thrilled that they won! They are "representin'" for our state and did they ever!

    Oh, and BTW...I was a huge "Twilight" book fan but after seeing the movie only once, I've sold all 4 books on KSL.

    Keep posting, you have a fan here! LOL! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twilight was NOT a stupid movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, Greg actually thought it was an ok movie, he just wanted to see if my friends were reading. You all passed the test! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew from the beginning that they were going to win. My husband says that it is because I don't have any idea who they were going to play. I told him that I have a good feeling about it before it even started. He will never believe me!! I should have told him before it started, than he would have believed me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just another friend of Angie's - I like the poem idea. I couldn't come up with anything appropriate to rhyme with Switzer but mole, soul, pole and coal rhyme with bowl. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you notice that all of your comments come from girls? I liked your poem - pretty much summed up the game, and I haven't seen Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, my eyes are bleeding from the red background! make it stop, make it stop!! ;) I have to say that I'm proud of the Utes. You can't argue with being undefeated. Well, I suppose you could--but it wouldn't make any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen to your comments on Swizter, Greg. As a true blue BYU fan, I am also a Switzer hater. I also know that any MWC team's success, especially our in-state rival's is a positive thing for BYU (unless they are head to head). So I was 100% behind the Utes vs. Alabama and loved every second of that game. My favorite part, though, came after the game, when Switzer was on the spot to explain what had happened. Grasping at anything he could, in a desperate attempt to defend his pre-game, elistest diss of the Utes and all non-BCS conferencedom, Switzer said, "I'll tell you one thing, I told you the Utes couldn't run on 'em." Then it cut to the other hosts, and they were both staring at Switzer, jaws open, speechless for several seconds. The look on their faces was CLASSIC. It was like they were thinking, "What planet are you on, Switzer?!" SOOO Funny. I lauged til I cried.

    ReplyDelete