Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine Snow

One of the things that I can't understand about kids these days (I sound like I'm 80 years old here), is that they don't go outside and play like I remember myself doing when I was young. Sure I watched TV, probably too much of it, but I distinctly remember being outside a lot, especially when it snowed, and snowed enough good quality packing snow that you could go built a fort, an igloo, or a snowman.

Well, our kids finally did that this weekend. On Saturday we had a pretty good little snowstorm that dropped a few inches on us. It was warm enough and there wasn't too much wind (plus Angie told the kids that they could either go out and play or stay in and do jobs), that the kids donned their snow gear and spent a good few hours out having fun in the snow.

They only ended up building the snowman's head, as you can see if you look closely at the table on the deck in the picture below:

cimg6641

And the fort they built was more or less a good size for Barbie dolls, as Emily points out here:

cimg6639

But they had fun all the same.

Nate spent some time with Angie and me shoveling off the driveway. He really likes to help out with that. He dressed himself - I need to be clear about that - and grabbed a shovel and did as much as he could before he lost interest, which was more than I thought he would do.

cimg6632

cimg6633

cimg6635

Later, the kids all came in and feasted on some yummy sugar cookies that Angie made and that I helped decorate a bit. They loved it. Apparently this is a version of a tradition her mom held with her siblings when they were young.

cimg6637

Later that night we gave the kids some valentines we had purchased for them, and left for our date. We went with some good friends to The Melting Pot. It was a lot of fun and good food. All in all it was a very fun day and I loved being back home spending time with my sweetie.

Greg

--

2 comments:

  1. Nice cookies Angie! Looks like you guys had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! Funny about the snowman head and Barbie fort, and yes; those cookies do look familiar! Great job, Angie!

    ReplyDelete