We finished up our two day stay in Palmyra by visiting the other local sites - the Peter Whitmer farm, the Granden Building (where the Book of Mormon was first published), and then drove out to Lake Ontario to burn some time before the pageant started. We went to the pageant to end the day, and all were very impressed. Erin's quote was,"I learned more tonight about the church than all my ten years of going to primary." Not sure if that is really the case, but I'm glad it was that meaningful for her. Emily wants to participate in the pageant in the future, so we'll see if that can be arranged. That many cute Mormon boys in one location is hard to pass up.
We left the following morning and drove to our campsite in Thompson, OH, which we found out while reading church history on the way was where most of the Saints first gathered before they went to Kirtland. We settled in, then drove about 30 minutes into Kirtland to the temple site.
It was very interesting to go through the tour and feel the distinct difference in the Spirit. The kids really noticed it, too. It was also neat to hear the history told from the Community of Christ perspective, as they own the temple now. They have the same basic beliefs we do, but there is a very palpable difference.
We then went and visited the LDS visitors' center where they Maintain the old historic area of Kirtland, a small area containing the Newell K. Whitney store where Joseph Smith received many revelations, including the Word of Wisdom, and where the original school of the prophets was held. We had to work around a very large youth group that had come in, so apparently we didn't get the full tour, but I don't think Nate's tummy would have allowed for that, anyway. They were all troopers when the information got a bit boring for kids. Angie and I enjoyed it all very much.
We ate dinner (at a mall food court in order to meet all our needs) and came 'home.' The kids went and played at the playground here and ended up making friends with a family from Odessa Texas who is in the middle of a church history trip, too.
We have one more week left. Angie and I finally scheduled that out last night, so it looks like we'll be pulling in a week from today. We have really enjoyed this opportunity to travel the country and see some really neat things. We will all be a bit sad when it's over, I'm sure. We are trails ring pros now, and could all go home and live in a closet and be comfortable, I think.
Posting pictures has been very difficult out here, because I have had to publish things either from my phone, or with the iPad on very weak wifi signals, so if you would like to see our journey, just look at our flickr page, as I try to upload pictures as I take them and label them as I'm able.
Well, off to South Bend today, then to Nauvoo tomorrow.
Here's a link to our Flickr page.
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment