Monday, June 4, 2012

One bike, two bums

We had some friends that had purchased a tandem bike a few weeks ago and they have been advertising heavily for us to get one ever since.  I was very hesitant, but after testing theirs out, I really liked the idea, and was able to get a good deal on one on eBay.  The main draw is that you can go on a bike ride with someone and easily converse with them, which I really like.  I love biking, but Angie is not as keen on it, mostly because she doesn't do it much, so whenever we go biking she feels like she slows me down, which I never mind when I'm with her.  With this, though, we are able to ride together and have the best of both worlds.  Plus, I thought it would be a fun thing to take the kids to breakfast on when the weather permits, as well as a fun date option for us and the kids when that time rolls around (it's getting closer.....).

So to break the beast in, we went on what was probably a bit too long of a ride on such a hot day.  We hauled the bikes over to Gardner Village (nice to have a Chevy Suburban now!), and then rode the Jordan River trail all the way to downtown SLC, had lunch at the City Creek Center, and then rode back.

City Creek ride


It was a very fun ride, but as I said, it was also very hot.  Angie was smart and applied sunscreen, but I was stupid and didn't.  I'm paying for it big time now.

Overall, though, it has been a very fun purchase.  After dinner yesterday we took the kids on rides so they could try it out.  It's Nate's favorite thing to do now.

Here are a couple more pictures from the night I put it together and hanging it on the back of the Suburban.  The frame has a hinge that allows it to be unlatched and folded over so that it can be ported on a bike rack, which is nice, because it is a very long bike.

Untitled

Untitled


Lots of fun.  We're glad our friends took the plunge first and introduced us to the idea, as I think it's going to be great fun to have one over the years.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment