Sunday, June 10, 2012

An experience I have been inspired by

One of my cousins linked to this blog post on Facebook this morning, and it was very moving and inspiring to read. Understanding the challenge of someone who deals with same sex attraction is something that has been in the news a lot lately. How each person reconciles and chooses to think about and behave toward this issue is completely up to them. I have my own beliefs and opinions, mostly shaped by two things: my religious beliefs, which are convictions I have of my own free will, and many close friends I have had over the years who are homosexual and have been open with their feelings and experiences with me in the hopes of shedding light on the true challenges someone faces, by no choice of their own, to be attracted to the same sex.

Over the past 20 years, as I have grown to love and appreciate people from all backgrounds, locations, and beliefs, I've come to realize many things. One of the most important, I think, is that you simply can't judge others without having lived their lives. There is a song by Sting that contains a line stating, "Don't judge me. You could be me, in another life, in another set of circumstances.". I believe that if we truly pattern our life after Christ, we will love others despite their choices, whether or not they are choices that we would personally consider 'good,' or 'right.'

The circumstances related in this link are both challenging and extremely uplifting. I cheer the courage and the gift of articulation demonstrated by the author, whom I do not know personally. I would invite you to read the post in this link and consider the blessings and challenges you face every day. I would hope that I would be able to keep the true message and example of Christ as the helm of my life in all things I face. Obedience and faith by definition are challenging, but I wish for myself and my family the strength to make good choices, through the agency we have been blessed with, in all situations we face. Life is tough, we all have difficult times, my hope is that we all love and support each other while demonstrating respect for the God given ability we all have to choose our path.

Here is the link, a blog post written by two people I admire very much:

www.joshweed.com

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine also shared this on Facebook and Danny mentioned you had posted it on your blog, too. This article was so well written and it really explained certain things that I had a hard time understanding until now.

    ReplyDelete